The Apiculture Training and Development Center (ATDC) was conceived due to the felts needs of both private and government sectors to identify an institution to spearhead and support the development of the beekeeping industry. Hence, on September 27, 1991 by the virtue of Board Resolution No. 91-160, DMMMSU approved the establishment of ATDC. The different agencies which were already involved in the beekeeping industry such as Plan International, a non-government organization based at Baguio City; Abra-Benguet-La Union-Western Pangasinan (ABLUWP) beekeepers cooperative and Fairview College, Canada; together with the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University (DMMMSU), Philippines entered into a Memorandum of Agreement that established the Apiculture Training and Development Center (ATDC) at DMMMSU, Bacnotan, La Union, Philippines. The ATDC is regarded as the only Apiculture Center ever established in the country that is catering to the needs of the existing and emerging beekeepers. Its operation as a center is dependent on the budget appropriation particularly on its meager share from the research and extension funds of the University.
Republic Act No. 9151, was approved into law on September 10, 2001 which abolished the Apiculture Training and Development Center (ATDC) and created the National Apiculture Research, Training and Development Institute (NARTDI) at Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University, Bacnotan, La Union.
Duties and responsibilities
- Recommend the over-all NARTDI framework to the advisory board;
- Directs the over-all implementation of NARTDI framework as provided by the Board of Regents;
- Consults the board on policies and administrative operations and their legal operations;
- Plans, implements ad supervises programs and activities of the institute approved by the board;
- Prepares and submits accomplishment and other reports to higher authorities as well as external organizations/agencies;
- Ensures the adequate resources, facilities and other support services needed for program implementation;
- Recruits and appoints staff of the Institute in accordance with the Civil Service Law and CSC policies;
Research and Development Division Chief
- Assists the Director of the overall implementation of the R and D program of the institute;
- Plans, consolidates/reviews the research, development proposals submitted by the section/unit head for endorsement to higher authorities;
- Administers and supervises the operations of the R&D division; and
- Coordinates with GO’s and NGO’s and the other linkages (internal and external linkages) for possible funding of research and development project.
Extension and development Division chief
- Prepares and implements programs of the Extension Development Division;
- Plans, consolidates/review consolidated development proposals submitted by the section/unit heads for endorsement to higher authorities;
- Assists the Director in the implementation of the extension and development activities of the Institute;
- Coordinates with GO’s and NGO’s on the conduct of training and extension activities;
- Administers the operation of the Extension Development Division; and
- Monitors and evaluates the implementation programs of the Extension and Development programs of the Institute;
- Establish linkages for possible funding of Extension and Development program
Administrative Support and Services Division Chief
- Prepares and implements plans in support to over all programs and activities of the Institute;
- Assists the Director in matters of administrative and support services;
- Plans, consolidates and submits to proper authorities the required reports of the division; and
- Administers and supervises the program and activities of the division.